If you only do one excursion on your trip to Vallarta, visiting the Marieta Islands is a top contender for that #1 spot! This family-friendly tour is an all-in-one package that includes a catamaran party, exploring hidden beaches, observing wildlife, and water sports.
The Marieta Islands or Islas Marietas in Spanish, consist of two uninhabited, pristine islands off the coast of the state of Nayarit. These beaches are lush and will be everything you've dreamt of leading to your tropical getaway. Though photos and videos are beautiful, they still don't do these islands justice.
The famous draw of this tour includes a visit to the Hidden Beach, also known as Playa del Amor. On this hidden beach, you'll be able to visit an iconic open cave where you see the true nature of how the beach, forest, caves, and wildlife come together to create a magical environment. To get there, you will have to swim from the boat through a rock tunnel. What's fascinating about this cave is that it's believed to be man-made - a result of artillery testing. No matter the cause of this photogenic crater, it is a must see when you visit Puerto Vallarta.
The boat ride from Vallarta to the islands is just about 1 hour long. Time passes quickly with the excitement of the other tour-goers and party ambiance on the boat. Upon arrival to the Islands, you can spread out and spend your time as you please. Whether you prefer to snorkel, kayak, explore the jungle, or simply hang out and sunbathe on the boat (or all of the above) - your experience is up to you!
The water surrounding the islands is a beautiful hue of blue that is only slightly see-through towards the shore. This is a particularly great area to snorkel in because of the diversity of fish beneath the surface. You may find butterflyfish, parrot fish, and other colorful variations as well as different species of coral and sea urchins. You can easily lose track of time admiring all the life happening right under you. (If you're lucky, you may even spot dolphins or sea turtles nearby!)
If you're not much of a snorkeler, try your hand at kayaking or paddle-boarding. Equipment is provided and if you need any help with it, your tour guides will be happy to help you.
After enjoying all the islands have to offer, you will surely build up an appetite. This tour includes a refreshing deli-style lunch that typically offers sandwiches, beverages, and fresh fruit. The perfect pick-me-up after a long day in the sun! Then, you will head back to your meeting point.
- It's important to note that drugs of any kind are strictly prohibited. This includes vapes, e-cigarettes, etc. If you bring these on the tour, you will be denied access and there will be no refund.
Important Items to Bring With
- Swimsuit, towel, biodegradable sunscreen, light sweater, and extra cash. Biodegradable sunscreen is important in protecting the ocean and wildlife living in it.
- Your camera! If you don't have a waterproof camera, but want to take photos with your cellphone, make sure to bring a protective, water-proof case.
- Boat ride to Islas Marietas and Majahuitas
- Deli-style lunch
- Open bar (following water activities)
- Snorkel, kayak, and paddleboard equipment.
- Free Cancellation
- Must arrive to the check-in point 30 minutes prior to departure. Boarding will be closed 10 minutes prior to departure time.
- At check-in, a 100 MXN peso conservation fee will be collected for conservation efforts of the island and local surveillance.
- Don't forget your swimsuit, towel, biodegradable sunscreen, and extra cash for fees and souvenirs!
- Electronic cigarettes, vapes, and any other type of drug is strictly prohibited. You will be denied access with no refund.