Things to Do in La Paz Mexico
Plan Your Trip to La Paz and Let Casago Help You With Your Vacation Rental
Things to Do in La Paz
As seasoned visitors know, there are countless things to do in La Paz, Mexico – a place of wondrous sightseeing, sublime beaches and family-friendly tours.
La Paz has a privileged location at the southern tip of the Baja Peninsula, nestled in a picturesque cove off the Sea of Cortez. This small but bustling hamlet is easily Baja Sur’s most traditional Mexican town, boasting a lively Malecon (oceanfront boardwalk), interesting architecture and cultural points of interest. It is the perfect destination to enjoy watersports, world-class golf, adventure tours and fine dining. When dreaming up your holiday itinerary, CasaGo can help you choose the best activities and accommodations for your vacation style.
La Paz Beaches
La Paz has a variety of beautiful beaches that are ideal for swimming, snorkeling, sunbathing and watersports. The most visited are a short drive (10 to 40 minutes) from the Malecon, which has a pretty stretch of white sand dotted with beach umbrellas.
- Playa Balandra – This popular beach is a 30-minute jaunt from the downtown area, located off the Pichilingue Highway. Known for its crystal-clear waters, coral reefs and marine life, Balandra is great for snorkeling and young swimmers.
- Playa La Paz – Right in front of the Malecon, Playa La Paz is ideal for sunbathing or reading and is close to ocean front cafes and shopping.
- El Teclote – During the high tourist months of December through March, Playa Teclote draws big crowds. Wave runners and paddleboats are available for rent.
- Playa El Caimancito – One of the least crowded and prettiest beaches in the region, Caimancito is part of La Concha Beach Resort, 10 minutes from town. The hotel rents equipment for skiing, snorkeling and paddle boats for families. Pack a picnic or head to the resort’s on-site restaurant for drinks and a meal.
Best Restaurants in La Paz Mexico
Dive into mouthwatering regional cuisine, international fare and some of the freshest seafood on the Baja Peninsula in La Paz. From authentic tacos to gourmet cuisine, foodies will not be disappointed. Here are some of the best restaurants in La Paz, Mexico:
- Tailhunter Restaurant – Reasonably priced American, Mexican and Hawaiian dishes; good spot for sunset cocktails or watching the game on big screen TVs.
- Las Tres Virgenes – Romantic, cozy atmosphere and alfresco dining. Features seafood, Latin fare and delicious, aged steaks
- Azul Marino – Beautiful waterfront setting; versatile menu with Mediterranean and international dishes.
- Il Rustico – Features outside patio seating, wood-fired pizzas in addition to pasta dishes and Italian-style salads.
- Capuchino Café – A wallet-friendly paradise for vegetarians; located one block off the Malecon. The falafels, vegan tacos and Popeye empanadas come highly recommended.
- Nim – Fusion restaurant featuring creative interpretations of traditional Mexican dishes and international fare. Try the chicken mole! Open for lunch in dinner.
La Paz Mexico Golf
In recent years, La Paz has evolved into a world-class golfing destination. Here, you can enjoy not one but two premier 18-hole courses that are as challenging as they are scenic. El Mogote at Paraiso del Mar has been rated among the top five new international courses, and promises peerless views of ocean and desert landscapes. The CostaBaja Golf Club, a Gary Player Signature Course, has spectacular views, practice putting greens and a driving range. This Par 72, 7,082-yard course is open daily to the public and has a restaurant, beach club and other amenities.
La Paz Snorkeling
Enjoy some of the best snorkeling La Paz has to offer at Espiritu Santo Island, a one-hour boat ride from the city. Several tour operators in town offer guided snorkeling tours to the island for a full day of underwater explorations and marine life encounters. The rocky islets are home to more than 500 species of fish, a sea lion colony, sea turtles, manta rays, dolphins, porpoises and the occasional whale shark – the world’s largest fish. Tours include roundtrip transportation, bilingual guide, lunch and gear. The best time of year for snorkeling is April through October when the waters are calm and visibility is high. Some tour companies offer combo snorkeling/kayaking excursions around La Paz Bay.
Shopping in La Paz Mexico
Gift and specialty shops, souvenir stands and upscale boutiques sell a variety of handicrafts, ceramics, clothing, jewelry and artwork. La Paz even has an authentic Chinatown, modern shopping malls and a local farmer’s street market that is held weekly. For those who revel in a little retail therapy, pay a visit to these La Paz gems:
- Ceramica Ibarra – unique, handmade pottery, lots of practical gift items
- Casa Parra – eclectic selection of carvings, baskets, ceramics and handmade arts and crafts
- La Antigua California -beautiful artisanal products including glass, silver jewelry, pottery and weavings plus typical souvenirs
- Mercado Madero – one of two public markets in town that sells inexpensive clothing and gift items. Also has food stalls selling fresh produce, meat and cheeses
- Allende Books – fantastic collection of English books in various genres, with a focus on travel and local history; located near the Cathedral Plaza.
There are enough things to do in La Paz, Mexico for 10 trips – get the most from your vacation by calling the local experts at Casago today!